Thursday, February 2, 2012

Almost Everything You Wanted to Know About Tu B'Shvat


The holiday of Tu B'Shvat is first mentioned in the Talmud and Mishnah, where it is named the New Year of the Trees. It is a time of reawakening and renewal.

Tu B'Shvat traditions include eating the seven species, native to the land of Israel, and especially dried fruits. This tradition dates back to the days before refrigeration was available. Dried fruits were the only way Jews of the Diaspora could partake of fruits of the "Holy land" on the holiday.


During my childhood in New York, where I grew up, I remember being given dates, raisins and carob (boxer) in the synagogue. I was unfamiliar with the dates and carob. Tu B'Shvat was the only time of year that we ate these fruits.

Brend's Catering stars on the holiday of Tu B'Shvat. Throughout the year, I incorporate fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables in my dishes, from appetizers to desserts. For Tu B'Shvat, I incorporate the seven species and dried fruits, as well as other seasonal fruits in the menus I offer. This provides you with a simple way to enjoy special dishes on the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment